Temporary employees (outsourced staff) have to constantly contend with an identity challenge and this is not easy to manage. Working for the client and belonging to another organisation is tricky and can lead to motivation and morale issues. In 2006 Quest offered the outsourced staff at a large municipality the opportunity to participate in a learning journey which would result in a Contact Centre Qualification (NQF4). Ten outsourced staff at the municipality embarked on this rewarding and challenging learning programme. Substantial emphasis was placed on ensuring learners were motivated to not only complete and achieve a National Qualification but also to choose careers in their relevant industry. Learners were provided with the impetus to take responsibility for their development and to take advantage of the learning and career opportunities afforded to them through the programme of Learnership.
Quest, working in conjunction with Prior Learning Centre, trading as Learnsys, were appointed as the provider for the Learnership programme. The role included: Accreditation of a Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) assessment tool. Development of evidence requirements against the qualification. Accreditation of the assessors with the Seta. Running the coaching sessions. Assessments of Learner Portfolios. Learner Reports on gaps that need to be closed. Re-assessment and internal moderation.
- Accreditation of a Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) assessment tool.
- Development of evidence requirements against the qualification.
- Accreditation of the assessors with the Seta. Running the coaching sessions.
- Assessments of Learner Portfolios.
- Learner Reports on gaps that need to be closed.
- Re-assessment and internal moderation.
The qualification would include unit standards linked to maintaining an information system, processing of numerical data, processing incoming and outgoing telephone calls, customer service and the management of time and work processes.
The following benefits of the programme were realised by the client Increased staff retention in the contact centre environment through the nurturing of a learning culture.
- The contact centre received a 100% retention rate with no outsourced staff resigning after the Learnership.
- Increased productivity, as well as service levels through the on-going assessment and coaching of staff by Learnership Coaches.
- Overall improvement in staff morale and motivation due to commitment to the national qualification.
- Overall improvement in team work.
- Direct salary cost savings. On-site coaching at no cost to the client.
- Improved selection and recruitment.
The following benefits of the programme were realised for the outsourced staff National Qualification – increased marketability in the formal job market.
- Portability of skills from an internationally recognised qualification.
- Life- long employability with the combination of formal workplace learning results and high level of job competence.
- Career-pathing as flex staffers could advance from NQF level 4 to 5.
- Greater understanding of the contact-centre industry at large. Greater appreciation of customer service.
- Individual’s self-worth bolstered from personal achievement.